The Great Escape Online Community

[Slashdot] - Meta Says It Found Source of Unannounced Quest Headset Leaks

Admin

A monthslong leak investigation by Meta has uncovered the source behind renders of the company's unannounced VR headsets that were published last year by a YouTuber named Brad Lynch. From a report: Meta CTO Andrew Bosworth shared the news earlier this week with employees in an internal post seen by The Verge. He said Meta has cut ties with the leaker, who I'm told was a third-party contractor and asked Lynch for revenue share from the YouTube ads running against his videos. In his post to Meta employees, Bosworth confirmed that the unnamed leaker was paid a small sum for sharing the materials with Lynch. Creators like Lynch aren't beholden to the rules of newsrooms like The Verge, which doesn't allow its reporters to send or receive payment in exchange for information. When I asked Lynch for comment, he didn't deny that he shared money from the ads on his YouTube channel with his source. "They might have asked because I wasn't willing to give much money up front," he said. "I'm just one guy who loves VR and just enjoys talking with industry friends and reporting what I hear. And I'm definitely not getting rich from it."

twitter_icon_large.png facebook_icon_large.png

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

View the full article