Jump to content
The Great Escape Online Community

[Slashdot] - Return and Enter Are Two Different Keys


Recommended Posts

John Gruber, writing at DaringFireball: A New York Times mini crossword clue over the weekend was based on the notion that "Enter" is just a synonym for the Return key. It's not. They're two different keys that usually perform the same action, but not always. All keyboards have a dedicated Return key -- it's the big key you're thinking of above the right Shift key. On a Mac, the key code when you press Return is 36 [...]. A dedicated Enter key is generally only present on extended keyboards with a numeric keypad -- it's the key in the lower-right corner and is generally the only oversized key on the keyboard that is larger vertically, not horizontally. Its Mac key code is 76 [...]. Just look at such a keyboard: the Return key says "Return", and the Enter key says "Enter". If your keyboard doesn't have a dedicated Enter key, you can type the Enter key by pressing Fn-Return. That's why some Return keys have "Enter" printed in small type above the word "Return". If your keyboard has neither a dedicated Enter key nor an Fn modifier key, I don't think you can type Enter. [...]

twitter_icon_large.png facebook_icon_large.png

Read more of this story at Slashdot.


View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using The Great Escaped Online Community, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use